Saturday, February 12, 2011

Kimchi Stew

I LOVE going to Chinatown. We just discovered Chicago's Chinatown last week when we went for the New Year's parade. Of couse we had dim sum and bubble tea. But we didn't get a chance to visit the grocery stores. So I went back this weekend, just for a boatload of Asian produce. I got bok choy, enoki mushrooms, napa cabbage and lots of other things I don't know how to make. My husband picked out a jar of kimchi and I thought of a Korean hotpot. I've had that before in Ktown, but have never attempted it myself.
I started with the Chinese chives, sauteed. Then add kimchi and sauté. 
Add water and bring to a simmer. It needed some flavourings. I should have gone with kochujang, but I didn't have any. Instead I added sriracha and fish sauce.

Rehydrated some shitakii and added those (sliced) and the broth as well. Tofu chunks go in as well. 

Simmer simmer simmer. 
Taste test - slurp... tastes good to me! Add a dollop of rice and good to go. Great for a cold freezing Chicago winter's night. Just the right amount of heat and spice. Love the smooth texture of the tofu, the chewyness of the shitakii and the crunch of the kimchi. 



No comments: