Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Manglorean Lamb Shank


My first experience with a lamb shank was in Chicago at a Indian-Latin fusion restaurant called "Vermillion". Although I wasn't the one who ordered the shank, I got to taste the falling-off-the-bone tender deliciousness. I've noticed it on a lot of menus and food network lately - and decided I must give it a shot. I looked it up Vermillion's menu which describes is as "Lamb Shank Gassi : mangalorean braised domestic lamb shank, mango panch puran rice" Whhosh! I don't even know what Manglorean means - so I just made it up. Here's my take on it -

Manglorean Braised Lamb Shank

Lamb shank
Sliced onions
mix the rest of the ingredients to make a slurry:
paprika
cumin powder
coriander powder
red chili powder
salt
chopped garlic
chopped ginger
dry mustard powder
fenugreek powder
garam masala
a can of tomato puree
a can of water

• Set the shank in a slow cooker
• Pour above mix
• Add onions
• Set on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
• Serve on a bed of Basmati rice.

Bon Appetite!

No comments: