Friday, August 7, 2009

Smart Ones Vs. Richa

I was watching tv when I saw a commercial for the Smart Ones Fiesta Quesadilla. I'm not completely against boxed entreés, but not a huge fan of them either. They're usually pretty crappy, with very little food that doesn't look anything like the picture on the cover and full of tons of sodium. But I do like the combinations they come up with. So I got inspired to do my own take on a "Fiesta Quesadilla" with what I had in my pantry. I wish I had more cheese, it would have helped keep the two layers together, but it was a tasty and filling dinner regardless.

Richa's Fiesta Quesadilla

Flour Tortillas
Grated cheese, I used Cheddar, but pepper jack, or any other melting cheese should do fine.

The Filling:
A can on white beans (cannelini)
A can of corn
Green bell pepper, diced
Red onion, diced
Jalapeno, diced (optional)
Juice of half a lime
Salt & Pepper


• Mix all the filling ingredients well
• You are now ready to assemble the quesadilla
• Oil a large non-stick frying pan. Place a tortilla and layer it with an even layer of the bean mix on half of the tortilla.
(note: I tried to do one giant one, and failed miserably. Mine refused to flip over. I lost most of the contents trying. For the next one, I tried puting stuff on half of the tortilla and doing a half-moon - it worked like a charm)


• Evenly distribute a portion of the cheese
• Flip over the other half of the tortilla to form a half moon
• Fry to a golden brown on each side.
• Slice and serve.


No comments: