Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Grilled Ratatouille

I am loving my summer bounty from the CSA. Freshly picked organic seasonal veggies. Not to mention the ones that won't stop growing in our own garden. This weeks box brought some sweet corn, fennel, peppers, eggplant, sweet onions and fresh garlic. It was time to make a veggie loaded dish. Ratatouille came to mind. The dish, not the movie. "Ratatouille. It's like a stew, right? Why do they call it that? If you're gonna name a food, you should give it a name that sounds delicious. Ratatouille doesn't sound delicious. It sounds like "rat" and "patootie." Rat-patootie, which does not sound delicious." Oh Pixar, you are so entertaining!

I didn't need the oven to heat up the whole apartment when its already at a balmy 80ยบ indoors. So I opted for twist on the idea. A grilled ratatouille. Its technically not a ratatouille at all, as there are no tomatoes. But I'll call it that regardless.
I sliced everything quite thick -
Zucchini
Summer squash
Fennel
Eggplant
Sweet onions
Red & Green peppers
Garlic (sliced down the middle)
Corn (on the cob)

Tossed everything with olive oil, salt and fresh chopped thyme and oregano. On to the grill.


Once I had a char on everything, I diced up the veggies into bite-size pieces. Corn got shucked. Garlic got minced. Mix everything a bowl. I adjusted the salt, added an extra swirl of olive oil and topped it with a chiffonade of basil. Summer in a bowl.
Bon appetit!

No comments: