Monday, August 2, 2010

Double Cheesy Mac

I've been living in Wisconsin for about 10 months now. Cheese has become a part of my everyday food. And I'm surprised that it took me 10 months to get around to making mac & cheese! Kraft has been my only source of mac all through childhood. I remember going to my friend's place for play-dates, and eating kraft mac & cheese with cut-up hotdogs. Thinking back at those memories, I've tried Kraft again as an adult - and its been so disappointing. I've never made mac & cheese from scratch, but now seemed like a better time than any to try my hand at it.

First things first, the cheese. Cheddar is the way to go. Its traditional and its what gives it the nice yellow hue. I picked out a nice sharp Wisconsin cheddar. Plus a bit of Asiago for an added dimension. I went with a rotini rather than the macaroni. I don't think it makes a huge difference, but the curves in the rotini will hold the sauce pretty good. Shred the cheese, cook the pasta and have it ready to go. Since you'll be baking it, cook the pasta al dente.
I picked up some Nueske's applewood smoked bacon especially for this. Render the bacon and set aside.


Dice onions and saute in the bacon fat (why waste?) Add a sprig of rosemary and saute til golden brown.


Slowly sprinkle in flour to make a roux. Grab a whisk and keep whisking till the flour is browned and cooked. Add milk, while continuously whisking to make sure you don't get a lumpy sauce. Re-introduce the bacon and add in all the shredded cheddar and half of the asiago. Remove from heat and stir to a smooth cheese sauce. Add in the seasonings - salt, pepper, red pepper flakes.


Add the pasta to the sauce and toss to coat. Transfer it all to an oven-safe dish. Preheat the oven to 375ยบ, set the dish in center rack for about 30 mins.


While the pasta bakes, prepare the topping. Panko breadcrumbs + asiago. After 30 mins, add the topping and bake for another 15 mins or until its nice and golden brown.



The cheesy goodness with a crunchy panko crust is fantasa-blastic! Kraft has nothing on this amazing creation. 

No comments: