Sunday, June 27, 2010

Cabbage Slaw




This weeks CSA box brought us a giant head of cabbage. And I mean huge - bigger than my head. What does one do with cabbage? Slaw was the only thing I could think of. I turned to epi to see if I can find an interesting use for this ginormous space eater. All I found was salads and slaws. I didn't want to make a slaw. I wanted something different. Slaw is not different. But then again, I can make it different. So I grabbed random things from the fridge and made a dressing of sorts. 



garlic scape
scallion
jalapeno
parsley
whole grain mustard
salt
honey
cider vinegar
balsamic vinegar
pickle juice

Blend it all in a food processor. Pour over sliced cabbage. I used green and red, since I had both. Toss and chill. 

No mayonnaise, no oil. Very light and crispy. Tart and spicy. Great for a light summer meal. 

I paired it with pan-fried panko crusted catfish. This would work great in a fish taco too. 


No comments: