Sunday, June 27, 2010

Grilled Pizzas



Now that I don't have easy access to a New York slice around the corner, I've reverted to making my own pies. I haven't yet ventured into making my own dough. But Metcalfes and Trader Joes has great fresh dough in a variety of "flavors" - plain, whole wheat, pesto, sun dried tomato. I've tried all but the sun dried tomato one. Sounds like that should be on my to-do list now. 
Today's plan was to grill the pizza. I've watched Bobby Flay make pizza on a grill, and just knew that if I ever put dough on the grill like he does, it won't come off. To my surprise, it was amazingly easy. And so fast! I didn't even have a chance to take pictures till after they were done. 
Roll out the dough and break off a piece big enough for your needs. Pull from the center out and keep pulling to make an even (and not necessarily round) base. Carefully place on the center of the grill, without any folds. It barely needs 4-5 mins to start blistering. The dough slipped right off when it was done, with perfect grill marks. Flip over and start topping. Have all your toppings ready before you throw the dough on the grill. Another 4 mins and you're done. 
I have two different pizzas going. The first one was a Greek pizza, with a light layer of tomato sauce, topped with fresh spinach, green peppers, onions, tomatoes, olives and feta.

The 2nd one was a mushroom pizza. I had my husband grill a portabella and some fresh oyster mushrooms and garlic scapes on the grill with a dash of garlic powder, Italian seasoning blend and olive oil. All of this got chopped up. The grilled dough got a spread of pesto, the chopped 'shrooms and dollops of goat cheese. (The mushrooms and goat cheese was delectable.)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy am sure to try this one soon.

-krupali