Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Zucchini Blossoms

We planted our first ever vegetable garden this year. We obviously don't know anything about planting zucchinis, since we have about 7 or 8 planted within a 6 sq. inch piece of land. A month later, our zucchini plants are growing like crazy! And now we have about 40 blooms. We'll be eating zucchini till the cows come home.

I figured I cut down on the zucchinis by eating a few blossoms. I later realized that there is a male and female flower. The male ones grow directly on a stem, the female has a zucchini attached to it. So I guess the ones I did pick weren't going to turn into zucchinis anyway. Oh well...

 
I washed out the blossoms and filled them with a mix of goat cheese and ricotta.  Twist the petals up top and dip in a slurry of flour and soda water. Then I'm supposed to deep fry it. Supposed to. Instead I attempted to do a "shallow" fry in about 2 tablespoons of oil.

 
This was the shot I got before the fiasco. It stuck to the bottom of the pan. I ripped the blossoms trying to flip them over. It was a big mess. After a minor hissy fit, I managed to get them all out. It looked bad. But it still tasted quite good. The cheese had soaked up a bit more oil than necessary though.

Next time, I'll just bite the bullet and deep fry it.

No comments: