Friday, August 27, 2010

Garden Gazpacho

I've been meaning to attempt to make a gazpacho all summer long. Considering summer is slowly slipping away, now is the time. I read up on a few recipes at epicurious and got a general idea of what should go in it. Tomatoes, cucumbers, tomato juice. But I can do better than that! Especially with this never-ending supply of vegetable that just keep coming at me. 
These are all the veggies that went in:
Fennel
Celery
White Onion
Garlic
Cucumber
Red Pepper
Hot Pepper

Heirloom Tomatoes
(We get the most amazing heiroom tomatoes from our CSA. This year is the first time I've ever tried a heirloom and I think I've wasted 29 years eating regular tomatoes. They're juicy, sweet and just the right amount of acidity. Tastes great just sliced with a sprinkle of kosher salt. Also great in this gazpacho.)
I chopped all the veggies (individually) in my food processor to a chunky consistency. Mix together and add the rest of the flavorings - salt, pepper, a dash of tabasco, red wine vinegar and a splash of extra virgin olive oil. Chill for a few hours and grab a bowl.


The consistency of my gazpacho was between a salsa and a soup. I didn't add any tomato juice- it seemed silly when I had so many fresh tomatoes at hand. But maybe that would help it get a bit more soupy. It was pretty tasty regardless. Maybe I'll be able to squeeze out another batch before summer is gone for good!

No comments: