Thursday, August 26, 2010

Spaghetti and Meatballs


After making all that sauce from my tomatoes, I just had to test it out. Spaghetti and meatballs came to mind - especially since its been a while since I've had it. I've always thought of spaghetti as the red headed step child of pasta. I buy rotini or ziti or macaroni - but hardly ever spaghetti. Plus we never go out to eat Italian food. It feels like a waste to go out and eat pasta!

I might have to give it another chance after tonight's meal though. It was delicious. The meatballs were made of ground pork. Mixed with garlic, basil, salt, pepper, some parmesan, an egg to bind and a handful of panko bread crumbs. Mix, form balls and pan fry. Once browned on all sides, add the tomato sauce and bring to a boil.

Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti to desired doneness. I don't care for al dente pasta. I like mine cooked all the way through. Not mush though. 10 mins cooks it to perfection. Drain, top with meatballs and sauce. A bit more cheese and basil over the top and you're ready to dig in.

The panko and cheese made the meatballs very soft and pillowy on the inside. The sauce was delicious and very flavorful. I could taste all my efforts from planting these tomatoes in May till reaping the fruits of our labor! Sweet success.



No comments: