Sunday, May 23, 2010

3 Cheese Stuffed Portabello Burgers with Tiny Taters




Yesterday was farmer's market day. My finds for the day included (among many other things) teeny tiny taters and hefty sweet onion/scallions. I decided to roast them both together, with rosemary, thyme kosher salt and a splash of olive oil. 




Just to give you an idea of how small these were. About the size of a marble. Some even smaller.  All of this went in the over at 370ยบ for about an hour. 



And whats the perfect partner for potatoes? Burgers! Portabello burgers, since thats what I had in the refrigerator. I marinated the 'bellos in the same spices as the potatoes: rosemary, thyme, salt and olive oil. 
I also had a boat load of cheeses, from our trip to the Roth Kase cheese factory in Monroe. So I threw in the smoked gouda, the Spanish style manchego and the havarti in the food processor, along with some scallions, fresh coriander (also from the FM) and a clove of garlic. Process away!

The portabellos went on the grill, gill-side-down. After a few mins, I flipped them and piled on the cheese mix. Grilled for another few mins, and then threw a foil tent over the pan and let the cheese melt.

It turned into an ooey-gooey mess of melted cheese goodness galore! A splash of worcestershire sauce, a toasty bun and a few greens made it complete.

Paired up with the tiny taters, this was an incredible lunch, worth making again and again. Maybe a little less cheese next time, just to be kind to my arteries.

No comments: