Monday, January 25, 2010

Baked meatballs


So much for my vegetarian stint!

I caved. I just like meat too much. I did however switch to organic, hormone & antibiotic free, grass fed meat. So that's my compromise. If I want to eat meat, I pay for the "good-for-you" kind. Much better than giving it up all together.

Oh magical tasty pig, how I missed thee! I got some ground pork and decided to make some meatballs. My usual method of meatballs is to form, boil and saute. Alton Brown convinced me to bake them. Although mine didn't brown too well (mostly cause I was impatient), they were very moist and juicy. Very tasty. I don't think I'll ever go back to my boil & saute method.

I made some pasta in tomato and ricotta sauce to go with the meatballs. And garlic bread, of course.

Baked Meatballs

1/2 lb ground pork
1 egg
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
salt, pepper, itallian spices, chili flakes, garlic powder

Mix. Form. Bake at 375 for about 45 mins.
Flip over half way through.



Tomato Ricotta Sauce

1 onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, smashed
3 cups crushed tomatoes
3 whole (canned) tomatoes, smashed
1 cup ricotta
salt, pepper, itallian spices, chili flakes, garlic powder

Saute onions and garlic.
Add the tomatoes and spices. Simmer.
Add the ricotta and simmer some more. Add water as necessary to get the right consistency.

Once sauce is ready add the meatballs and pasta of choice.
Enjoy with some crusty garlicy bread.

Bon Apetit

2 comments:

SJD said...

This looks like it's right out of cookbook! If only I could sample this over the web.

KND said...

If you make some with lamb, you should FedEx them to SJD.