Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Savory Zucchini Pancakes


I was 8 years old when I was first introduced to the "tomato omelette". I thought I was in for an eggy concoction that somehow involved tomatoes. I was way off. What it turned out to be was tomatoes and onions in a chickpea flower batter, pan fried like a pancake. No eggs. I found the name to be very deceiving at the time. But now that I think of it, it does look a lot like an omelette, an Indian vegan omelette.

I remembered this the other day as I was scrambling (no pun intended) to figure out what to make for dinner. I found some zucchinis and tomatoes and the rest just came together. Just to make sure there is no ambiguity, I am calling these savory pancakes. I wouldn't want to scar any 8 year olds out there.


Savory Zucchini Pancakes

1 zucchini, julienned (I used my mandolin on a matchstick setting)
1 small onion, diced
1 tomato, diced
garlic, diced or powder
salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, coriander powder
1 tsp baking soda
chickpea flower (also known as besan, widely available in Indian grocery stores)



Mix together the zucchini, onions and tomatoes.
Add in the spices and baking soda. Mix to coat.
Add enough chickpea flower to heavily coat all the veggies.
Add water, little at a time, to make a batter. Should be about pancake-mix consistency.
Ladle in spoonfuls into a hot oiled pan - just like a pancake.
Flip.
Brown.
Serve.

These will go well with a coconut chutney or even ketchup. I made my own hodgepodge sauce to go with it.

Sauce

1/2 tomato
1 clove garlic
1 serano pepper
1/4 yellow pepper
a hand full of bread crumbs (a slice of stale bread will do)
salt, pinch of sugar

Put everything in a blender and blend away.
Serve with your zucchini pancakes.

Bon Apetit!

No comments: