Sunday, January 31, 2010

Puff Pastry


I did some puff pastry experiments this week. I had used one sheet for a pot pie earlier, and had one more sheet left. I was dying to make "turnovers" of some sort. I had some of yesterday's beet salad left over, so I stuffed it into the dough, along with some spinach and a bit of chili flakes to make a Spicy Spinach, Beet & Goat Cheese Turnover. I think anything stuffed in a puff pastry shell is delicious. This was was especially delicious with the warm soft cheese. Yum!

Day 2 with puff pastry began with the fact that yesterday's turnovers looked a lot like Indian Samosas. So I started out with the idea in my head that I was going to make samosas. This is what I ended up making:


I figured it was easier to make a "log" than trying to fill tiny triangles. It still tasted like a samosa though.

Puff Pastry Samosas Squares

2 small potatoes, medium dice
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
handful of peas
salt, chili powder, cumin, coriander powder
1 Sheet puff pastry, thawed

Saute onions until soft and golden
Add potatoes, carrots, peas. Cover and let it steam until potatoes are cooked
Add spices
Lay your puff pastry sheet on baking sheet and fill half of it with potato mixture
Fold sheet over and crimp edges
Bake at 375 for about 20 mins, or until golden brown. Flip over if necessary.
Cut into 8 pieces, and enjoy.

Bon Apetit.

No comments: