Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mustard & White :: Greens & Beans


I've been trying to eat a lot more vegetables lately. I don't want to go gung-ho and become a vegetarian, but just want to cut down on my meat consumption. I bought mustard greens for the first time, and had no idea what to do with them. All the recipes I found were either side dishes, or braised under and pork butt. I wanted to make a meal out of the mustard. I started pulling things out of the pantry and refrigerator and came up with this.

Mustard green & white beans with cranberries

1 clove garlic, smashed
evoo
1 bunch mustard greens, cleaned and chopped
Chicken stock
1 can of cannellini beans
salt, pepper, chili flakes, cumin, nutmeg
a bunch of cranberries

Heat up oil and add the garlic
Add the greens and let it wilt.
Add a bit of stock to help with the wilting
Dump in the can of beans, after you rinse them, of course.
Season and stir
Add the cranberries and let them soak up some moisture and flavor.
Done

I served my creation over a bed of egg noodle. And topped it off with the sunny side egg. Let the yokes run through the warm greens and noodles. I'm sure this will taste just as good over rice or as is.

Bon Apetit

No comments: