Friday, January 15, 2010

Chile Rellenos - a la Bobby Flay


In my opinion, Chile Rellenos as stuffed with beef and cheese, then deep fried in lard. Nothing wrong with that. Then I came across Bobby Flay's chile rellenos Throwdown episode on Food Network. The competition were making a vegetarian version stuffed with cactus, mushrooms in a tomato sauce, and not fried! Bobby comes in and whips up an eggplant & manchego beer battered version with a roasted red pepper sauce and a balsamic-honey drizzle. Not only did this sound better, it even looked better than the competition's version. Bobby, however, did lose. I beg to differ. And I'm not even a big fan of Bobby.

I decided to try it out myself. I tried to stick to Bobby Flay's recipe, but made some changes along the way. I switched out the manchego for cheddar. And instead of deep flying it, I dipped it in an egg+beer wash, rolled it in panko and pan fried it in olive oil. I made the sauces exactly according to the recipes though. The whole process was time consuming, but worth it. This might be one of the fanciest looking plates I've ever made. And it tasted the part too.

No comments: