Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Belated Valentine's Dinner


This was supposed to be our Valentine's dinner, but we ended up stuffing ourselves elsewhere on Sunday. This then became our President's Day dinner.

These beautiful Berkshire pork chops came from John Priske of Fountain Prairie Farms. I originally had my eye on their brisket, but a 7lbs brisket for the two of us was way more than we'll ever need. I went for the appropriately sized pork chops instead.

I barely ever make pork chops. I tend to either undercook them, or dry them out. I like to slow cook my pork. Ribs and butts are best for this. But now that I had these chops, I wanted to make sure I didn't ruin them. I found this recipe - and followed along, making a few changes along the way.


I finished my chops under the broiler: 2 mins on each side giving them a nice char. The end result was delicious. The pork was cooked perfectly - moist and juicy. I topped it with some caramelized onions and the left over salsa from lunch. The potato pancakes was a nice spin on the regular side of potatoes. I roasted the carrots separately - with a bit of honey and Italian spices. Next time I'll go for green beans instead of the carrots - as per Ken's suggestion.

Bon Appetit!

No comments: