Sunday, February 21, 2010

Catfish Cakes


So here is the catfish I had mentioned earlier. I managed to get 4 equally sized thick square pieces out. I saved these for next week. Its the uneven pieces that I used to make catfish cakes. Fish catcakes? Cat fishcakes? Hmm...

My idea for the fish cake marinade was "chimichurri goes to Asia". Chimichurri is an Argentinian meat marinade made with chilies, garlic, parsley, lime and many other things. I swapped out the parsley with cilantro and added some ginger to it.


I need to get a blender. A real blender. A personal smoothie maker is NOT a blender. Although it does come in handy in pinch. It took a while, but it did blend my ginger, garlic, onions and jalapenos into a nice "smoothie". I kept it pretty thick, added very little oil, but lots of lime. It looked more like my coconut chutney than a chimichurri.



I paired the fish cakes with sauteed red chard. I figured we didn't need any carbs. No quiero ningun carbs esta noche. (Did I mention I'm learning Spanish?)



Catfish Cakes

Marinade
Blend the following:
Onion
Garlic
Ginger
Cilantro
Jalapeno
Salt, Pepper
few drops of EVOO
Lime juice (Use the lime juice to turn it into a smooth paste, don't add water)

Fish Cakes

Catfish, cut into small pieces
Marinade (recipe above)
Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs, regular is fine too)



Marinate minced fish with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
Mix in a handful of panko and form into round cakes.
Pan fry in a bit of oil.

NOTE: You can reserve some of the marinade, mix it in with some plain yogurt and serve it as a sauce for the cakes)

Red Chard

Wash Chard thoroughly, chop.
Saute garlic in a pan, till golden brown.
Add chard, add a splash of chicken stock, salt. Allow chard to wilt.
Do not over cook.

Serve with the fish cakes

Bon Appetit!

No comments: