Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Mussels in Coconut Chipotle Curry

I had mussels when we were in Paris a couple of years ago. Moules a la Mariniere - a giant bowl full of mussels in white wine, with a side of french fries. I approached the pile picking at the shells with my fork and the fries with my fingers - trying hard to not look like a fool in Paris. Then I noticed how the Parisians were eating - they picked up a shell with their fingers and used an empty shell like "chopsticks" to pick out the meat. Then they used the fork for their fries! Ooh la la! I was way off!

I came across these mussels last night at Metcalfs. This was the first time I'd been there, and I'll be going back! Beautiful produce and fresh meats. I wanted everything. I settled for the mussels and fish (stay tuned for some catfish up here soon enough). I figured I could make a coconut based curry for the mussels. I looked up a recipe on my Epi app (cool app by Epicurious) and gathered up the rest of the ingredients.


Cooking mussels is quite simple, it barely takes 5-6 mins for them to open once you get the liquids to a boil. I served it with a crusty ciabatta to soak up the curry. Next time I might stick to regular coconut milk instead of the lite version the recipe calls for. I would have liked the curry to be a bit thicker and creamier.

Before...
...After.
Bon Appetit!

No comments: