Saturday, February 27, 2010

Falafel


I remembered the pack of falafel I had in my pantry, on my way back from the outlet mall. I mention the outlet mall so that you know I'd been shopping all day. Which is why I was kinda tired. Which is why I misread the simple directions on the back of the box. Which is why my falafel ball mix looked more like soup.

I misread the directions and added 1 1/3 cup of water instead of 1/3 cup. I realized this 15 mins later, as it wasn't anywhere near the consistency it was supposed to be. In my attempt to fix it, I strained it through a sieve. That didn't quite work. I let the strained liquid settle so I could pour off the excess water. That didn't work either. My last resort was to add a binder. I added spoonfuls of chickpea flower to my slurry. This worked. The texture was a bit smoother than it should be for falafel. But atleast it was the same material - Chickpeas. The batter was still pretty thin, but it worked. I spooned dollops of it on to my pan. They looked more like silver dollars than then did falafel balls. Tasty, nonetheless.

For my impromptu tzatziki - I turned regular yogurt into "greek" yogurt by lining a sieve with 2 layers of paper towel and spooning in plain yogurt. Let the moisture drain and soak up into the towels for about 15-20 mins. Carefully lift and ring out. Don't let the towel rip and squirt (that didn't happen to me at all!) I didn't have any cucumbers on hand for my tzatziki, so I just added some chopped cilantro and a dash of s&p.


Beet salad. I've made a few variations of this before, with goat cheese or feta. This time, no cheese. I added green and red peppers, red onions, cilantro, lime juice and s&p. I can't believe I used to hate beets as a child. They're so delicious. And good for you - high in vitamin B and iron. So eat your beets!

The meal finally came together with some toasted whole wheat pitas, my "silver dollar" falafel patties, black olives, beet salad and tzatziki. Bon Appetite!

No comments: